Do you have a special liking for kielbasa? Want to prepare it at home? I’ve come up with the ways of how to cook kielbasa.
A thorough read of the methods will ensure that you can enjoy the food in a restaurant style. Let’s start with a brief introduction of the said item-
What Is Kielbasa?
It Is A Popular Dish, Especially Served At Polish Weddings
Today, kielbasa is one of the favorites for many individuals in different parts of the world. It is because of its rich taste and flavor that appeal to everyone.
The term ‘Kielbasa’ is a Polish word which means ‘Sausage’. This is why it is also known as ‘Polish Sausage’ in many regions.
Depending on the culture and tradition, it is made with fresh or smoked meat of pork, turkey, lamb, beef, chicken or veal. Along with that, ingredients such as salt, spices, herbs and other flavorings are also added to make it delicious and lip-smacking.
For making it tastier, you can enjoy the dish with mustard, soups or sauces. No doubt, it will offer very rewarding experience in every bite.
In the United States, it is popularly known as Polish Sausage and readily available in the restaurants.
Some of the regions where it is consumed in high amount are Canada, Ukraine, Hungary, Russia, Austria and South Africa including Poland.
How To Cook Kielbasa In The Home Kitchen?
Once you purchased the kielbasa or made it at home, you have to cook it as per your preferences. There are several methods that enable you to prepare the said food in the kitchen-
Here below, I have covered top five ways of ‘how to cook fresh polish sausage’-
1.Baking It In An Oven
It is one of the easiest ways to cook kielbasa. Anyone can perform this task. Just you need to read the instructions carefully-
- Set the temperature to 400o F and preheat the oven
- Spray and coat baking pan with vegetable oil
- Place the polish sausage on the pan
- Put the pan in the oven
- Cook it for about 15 – 20 minutes
Continuously monitor the cooking process. When you notice polish sausage swells, you can note that it starts to split. So, transfer them from the baking pan to serving tray.
It is better to serve hot and enjoy your meal. For enhancing the flavor, you can serve it with casseroles, stews and other similar foods.
2.Boiling It On A Burner
When you want to change your taste, you can boil kielbasa. It consumes a little extra time than baking process. Also, it offers a different taste of food.
If you have a query on how long to boil kielbasa, let’s find it out here-
- Place the polish sausage pieces into the saucepan
- Cover it with water
- Turn on the burner and set it to medium heat
- Allow the water to boil for about 1 – 2 minutes
- Reduce the heat and cover the pan
- Simmer it for about 25 – 30 minutes
Once done, you have to drain the excess water and transfer the prepared meal to the serving tray. It is now ready to eat with your favorite side dishes such as soups.
3.Grilling It At Low-Medium Heat
You can surely go for grilling process and change the taste of cooked food. Let’s have a look at the method of grilling it-
- Preheat the grill to low-medium heat
- Place the kielbasa on the grilling surface
- Grill them for about 4 – 6 minutes
- Now, turn them using a pair of tongs
- Allow it to grill again for the next 4 – 6 minutes
Once done, it is time to transfer them to the serving tray and have a treat with all.
It is the best way to cook kielbasa. Interestingly, some people prefer sauerkraut (finely cut cabbage) alongside the grilled kielbasa and enjoy their food.
4.Pan Frying It On Stove Top
All the above methods require the whole kielbasa but pan frying needs its slices. Want to know how to cook fresh polish sausage in a frying pan? Head over to the next step-
Cut kielbasa into 1” thick rings and start the cooking process-
- Slice onions and keep it aside
- Turn on the stove top
- Put cooking oil in a nonstick pan
- Place it on the stove top
- Allow it to heat up the oil
- Add kielbasa rings in a single layer
- Add sliced onions and allow them to cook
- Use a spatula and turn the pieces occasionally
- Fry it for about 7 – 9 minutes
After this period of time, transfer them to the serving tray. Now, you are all set to enjoy a delicious food with your family and friends.
The above-discussed methods are great for fresh polish sausage. In case, you have stored the leftovers in the kitchen and want to know how to cook polish sausage once it gets frozen.
Consider the following one-
5.Cooking Frozen Kielbasa In A Pot
If your polish sausage is frozen, you have to thaw them first.
- Chop onion, garlic cloves and bay leaf
- Place kielbasa along with other ingredients in a pot
- Add marjoram or other herbs (optional)
- Pour enough water to cover them
- Use a lid and simmer it on low heat for the next 50 – 60 minutes
After the scheduled minutes, open the lid and transfer the food to a serving tray. No doubt, it will taste great. So, enjoy it with your family and kids.
Cook Using A Slow Cooker – Additional Method
It is not a usual method of cooking fresh polish sausage. But it offers a very different taste to your food once cooked.
- You require sauerkraut for this recipe
- It is the finely cut cabbage readily available as a canned food
- Now, take your slow cooker
- Fill it with one-can of finely cut cabbage
- Pour water and lay kielbasa on the top
- You can also cut polish sausage into small rings for this recipe
- Turn on the slow cooker
- Set the temperature at low heat
- Keep it idle for about 5 – 7 hours
Obviously, it is one of the time-consuming methods but you get the appetizing flavor. In the meanwhile, you can also do other works without having a second thought.
In case, you need to purchase a slow cooker. You can visit this link and narrow down your search to get the best slow cooker for your kitchen.
I hope you get to know how to cook kielbasa in the home kitchen. From now onwards, there will be no more issues related to the same.
If you want to experiment with customary fresh kielbasa recipes, you are free to do it so. We will feel glad if you share your experience with us in the below box.
For any query, you can also drop your message and we will get back to you soon. Found this post helpful? Bookmark it and share it with your family and friends!